Every year the J.K. Lee Black Belt Academies join together to support childhood cancer research. It’s a lesson in community service, empathy and understanding. Plus we get to work on our best breaking techniques! This year we helped celebrate the 25th anniversary of the event and broke the million dollar mark for total raised since the break-a-thon began!
Our mission is provide all youth and families an opportunity to become a martial artist! We are so happy to be able to work with so many schools, continuing learning centers and community organizations that are helping to improve our city! We are thankful to our donors, sponsors and volunteers who make the work possible!
Together we can make a difference!
Every time we promote to the next rank, we learn about what we need to do to get better. Belt tests help us set short and long term goals. They remind us of the importance of practice. The new year is always a super time to reflect on our goals! In class we talk about our martial art goals, our school goals and our home goals. We remind our students that it’s never about being perfect. It’s important to persevere (one of our tenets) and always practice!
At a program on Thursday, I challenged the class (and myself) to do 1000 kicks. We talked about having strong fundamentals for tournament. We talked about Bruce Lee’s quote “I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times.” We did some math (how many kicks to we need to do in a minute to get in 1000 in 30 minutes?) We all did 200 ax, 200 front, 200 side, 200 roundhouse and 200 back kicks, with a stretch between the sets. The class did 16000 kicks! Throughout the class, we talked about perseverance, and having an “I can do it attitude!” We learned that we were stronger than we thought and maybe we should push ourselves harder more often.
We were super proud to be invited to talk about our program on Dr. Peder Piering’s Ignite Your Life weekly podcast.
“Ignite Your Life is a podcast from Sport Psychologist Dr. Peder Piering. Each episode is dedicated to making the intangibles of personal and performance excellence tangible. By interviewing athletes Dr. Piering will delve into the psychological aspects of peak performance. From character development and confidence to overcoming obstacles and adversity, this podcast will give you insights from various athletes and coaches with a wealth of expertise. As a clinical and sport psychologist for over 15 years Dr. Piering has worked and learned from 1000’s of athletes. During that time he has developed a psychology of excellence that helps athletes gain the competitive edge.” Apple iTunes
We’ve had many inquiries about how to help so our team put together this idea of suggestions. Some are unique to our martial arts school. Some are super ideas for helping nonprofits anywhere.
We welcome all volunteers! You don’t have to be a martial artist to want to make the world better. Invite your family, friends, neighbors and coworkers to become part of our mission to help children reach their potential and make Milwaukee a stronger, safer and more inclusive community!
What to do?
Everyone is different! There are many ways to be a part of the solution. Together we can do great things! This is not an all-inclusive list. We welcome ideas, creativity and your unique talents. Some things take longer than others, so you may need to pick more than one. Some are more suitable for adults. Build a service plan that works for you. It’s not in any particular order, although lead instructors are always our biggest need.
- Adult Lead Instructors at After School Programs Multiple Locations M-F sometime between 2:30-6:00 and Saturday Morning. Call for schedule.
- Assistant Instructors at After School Programs
- Adult Lead Instructors at Holton Youth & Family Center (HYFC) Call for schedule.
- Assistant Instructors at HYFC
- Homework Help at HYFC MTTh 5:15-6:00pm Sun 11:00am
- Serve as a Board Member
- Board Committee (adults) Friendraising/Fundraising
- Board Committee (adults) Marketing
- Board Committee (adults) Programs
- Board Committee (adults) Finance
- Be on our Gala Committee
- Join the Annual Campaign Committee
- Help with Gala Set Up and Take Down
- Prepare Annual Campaign Mailers
- Host an informational lunch
- Have a pre-event cocktail party
- Help with website
- Write articles for our blog/newsletter
- Create short promotional videos about student activities
- Create short promotional videos about fundraising events
- Be a J.K. Lee location ambassador Make announcements, pass out flyers
- Be a corporate ambassador
- Create a matching campaign for the gala
- Create a matching campaign for end of year drive
- Host a donor breakfast
- Help with monthly lunch & learns at HYFC
- Host a corporate lunch & learn
- Help at Friday Family Nights
- Contribute a dish for a Friday Family Night Dinner
- Work with our Friday afternoon sparring class at HYFC
- Watch Front Desk at HYFC
- Help with Inventory at HYFC
- Help with filing at HYFC
- Hand write thank you notes
- Help with cleaning at HYFC
- Collect nonperishable kid snack food
- Collect gently used (but still tournament approved) sparring gear
- Help set up our Haunted House (October 26)
- Work at our Haunted House
- Help with 2019 Summer Camp Week
- Help with Twitter
- Help with Instagram
- Help with Facebook
- Share, like and comment on our Facebook Posts
- Mentor/Partner an individual student
- Help with Spring Carnival
- Host a Korean Cooking Class
- Organize Library at Holton
- Organize donated sparring gear
- Take home/launder/return school uniforms
- Help our Grant Writer
- Make thank you calls
- Provide information at Open Houses
- Help with special school programs
- Promote our Amazon Smiles link
- Officiate at Testings at HYFC
- Sell J.K. Lee City Youth Merchandise
- Help with Neighborhood Walk
- Help at area clean ups
- Help at National Night Out
- Create Giving Tuesday flyer
- Share Giving Tuesday Information
- Design Handouts for Students
- Share CYMAP student stories
- Prep materials for new volunteers
- Prep materials for annual all school instructor meeting
- Help with Instructor Reflection Lunch
- Staff an informational table at testing
- Create and Distribute Yard Signs
Help between classes at HYFC for club time by
- Teaching Piano
- Reading to small children
- Working on a craft
- Playing chess
- Do a science experiment
- Other music lessons
Help raise funds by:
- Bake sale
- Car wash
- Yard sale
- Penny War
- Valentine Sale
- Cupcake War
- Dodgeball Tournament
- Dog/Pet Show
- Kick Marathon
- Pancake Breakfast
- Rummage Sale
- Gift Wrapping Service
- Chili Cook Off
- Dog Wash
- Art Show
- Talent Show
- Pie Throwing Contest
- Spaghetti Dinner
- Celebrate your birthday on Facebook
- Promote our Amazon Smiles link
- Sell gala tickets
- Organize a “dine out for CYMAP” night
- Host a self-defense workshop for your team/school/work
- Find auction item donors
- Solicit Corporate Sponsorships
And if you’re stuck wondering what to do or have an extra hour
- Call our Executive Director and see what we most need this week!
Giving and Getting
Studies show that charitable giving and service activates the same parts of your brain as eating chocolate or drinking a glass of wine. It feels good to give. We think you’ll be surprised by all you get in return. We learn from our students and families. We become more aware and understanding. Our own martial arts practice becomes stronger.
Our program is made possible through your support, generosity and love of martial arts. We are proud of the growth we see in our students and the difference we are making in the community!