Every year, we join in the celebration of Earth Day. This day is to remind us that the earth is wonderful, and we need to take care of it. The theme of 2020, as well as the 50th anniversary, is ‘Climate Action.’ This means doing what you can to help fight climate change. A few activities include recycling, picking up litter, and pledging to keep your community cleaner. Here are some other fun and eco-friendly activities as well:
- Recycled Art! Use recycled materials to do some fun arts and crafts. https://www.notimeforflashcards.com/2014/04/recycled-art-project-for-kids-2.html
- Take a walk (while social distancing) and discover different types of plants.
- Make a recycling bin out of plastic bottles! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uimTYG8uFHg
- Pledge to “Go Green” this Earth Day! There are many different ways you can do so. https://www.hgtv.com/outdoors/gardens/planting-and-maintenance/10-ways-to-green-your-garden-for-earth-day
- Go outside and draw nature! This is a good way to get outside and relax while appreciating nature.
- Join our “Trash Bag Challenge!” Go outside and fill a trash bag with litter you see outside. Be sure to bring an adult and all necessary equipment to keep you clean. Students who sent us a picture will earn a blue stripe and be posted on our social media pages!
These are some great ways to help the world become a better place. Yet, Earth Day does not have to be all work and no fun. Here are some ways we celebrated last year that people of all ages can enjoy:
- Empty 1 package of unflavored gelatin into a blow with 2 tablespoons of cold water. Let this sit for 1 minute.
- Add 1/3 cup of boiling water and stir until gelatin is dissolved. This is the binder.
- Add 2 cups of bird seed and mix together.
- Pick a cookie cutter to shape it. Let it sit until it becomes solid. Of course, we had to choose our ninja cookie cutters!
- Attach a string and hang outside. Then, watch the bird enjoy their snack!
- Fill a cup about halfway with pudding.
- Grind up some Oreo cookies and place it on top.
- Add 2 Gummy Worms in the mix.
- Enjoy your cup of dirt!
- Note: All plastic and paper material used was recycled and/or used for crafts.